scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Let's Do the Chai Chai...

Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  How was your week?  I had scheduled a week off for vacation, almost decided to give it back and, ultimately, decided to keep it.  Confused?  Me too!  LOL!  And what did I do with this time?  I cleaned my house.  As in...DEEP. CLEANED.  Walls, floors, purging (three boxes to Goodwill) and reorganizing.  Some things found new places in my home and some things just found new homes.  A couple of things have just been delegated to "non use" for a while because I'm just not into looking at them at the moment but can't get rid of them because they hold a special value to me.  All in all, not a bad week if I had to work when I wasn't working.  Mhm.

Friday rolled around and Mr. Scrappin and I left to take a three-hour tour, three-hour tour to see Gilligan...whoa, whoa, whoa...I meant our new granddaughter.  OH. MY. GOSHNESS...SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!  I know that all of us grandparents say that but, truly, she is just gorgeous.  The perfect color to her skin and she's oh, so soft! Oh goodness, I just wanted to snuggle with her forever.  This weekend was also Ms. Addisyn's third birthday and her big sister, Tiffani, turned 16 so we got to be on hand for that, which is awesome.  Can't miss those important dates.  On top of that, I found time to visit my favorite antique mall and grab some time in a quilt store that I've been wanting to go into ever since they opened.  However, since I no longer live where all these things are, I have to be selective with my time.  It just so happened that I was able to do that this time around and I am one happy camper!  How can you go wrong with grandbabies, antique and quilt stores?  YOU CAN'T!  Just sayin'.  And yes, I DID happen to come home with a couple of things from both the antique mall and the quilt store.  Oops, did I say that out loud?  Uh, I found nothing...nothing at all.  hee hee hee So, yeah, we just came home today.  A nice three-day weekend indeed.

Hubby and I went to dinner Friday night with my daughter and her bestie because a local restaurant there was having spaghetti night.  At first I thought $15 per person was a little high for a price, but HOLY HOLY MOLY there were so many leftovers that Sarah can get another three meals out of it for herself.  It was actually $15 per person or if you had a group of four then it was $45.  That made my pocketbook feel a little better and even allowed me to buy that extra jelly roll pack at the quilt store. You know, the one I didn't buy. WINK WINK Included in the price of the dinner was the spaghetti, with your choice of three sauces, fresh baked bread, salad and ice cream.  And these servings were so not skimpy.  We decided, especially once we tasted how delicious the food was, that it was definitely worth it.  And yes, we'll probably do it again!

Needless to say that in the midst of all the goings on, there was not a lot (ok, any) time to get a crafting project in here.  I was going to actually show the blankie that I was doing for Addisyn's third birthday but, ahem, I didn't do it.  Ok, ok, I'm a BAD GRAMMA!!!  I just plain ran out of time because, you know, I did not know for the entire preceding year that her birthday would be coming up.  Don't judge me, I am old and feeble and it cannot be helped.

How I got this recipe home:  I took a picture of it with
my phone.  LOL!  

So...in lieu of a really nifty crafty something or other, I will share a recipe I stole from my daughter one of the times I visited her.  It was written on a piece of notebook paper and I took a picture of it with my camera because it looked so good. Of course, I am not the one that made it; she did.  I really just wanted to taste it before I actually made it up because it makes A. LOT.  And by A. LOT. I mean a HUUUGGGGEEEEE jar.  So I grabbed a pint mason jar and filled it (with her permission of course) to bring home with me.  When I got home I trotted down to my mother-in-law's to have her test it out with me (and also to take her a little gift I accidentally bought at the antique mall).  She loved it; I loved it and the rest, as they say, is history.  I will now make my very own drinkage because not only was it superbly delish, but I left the jar down with mom-in-law so she could enjoy it.  

My "sample" of the mix Sarah made up.
And my "new" pot from the antique mall that
I'll boil the water in.

And just what was this delectably diabolically addicting drink I speak of?  Chai Tea of course!  My fave drink of all time.  The recipe is interesting and I would not have guessed a couple of the ingredients, but they totally work.  Kudos to Sarah for making this stuff up for her mother to eventually steal!  I raised her up right!  One more thing...she does not know who to credit for the recipe since she got it from someone else so, please, if you know where it came from, let me know.  I always want to make sure credit is given to the correct person(s) if at all possible!

Here's the recipe:

Homemade Chai Mix

2 cups confectioners' sugar
1-1/2 cups Lipton unsweetened instant tea
1 cup dry powdered milk
1 cup regular flavor non-dairy dry creamer
1 cup vanilla flavor non-dairy dry creamer*
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice

Mix all ingredients thoroughly and store in container of your choice.  Sarah has hers stored in one of those HUGE decorative mason jars.  

To make the chai tea:  Mix 3 tablespoons mix with 12 ounces boiling water and stir.  Adjust to your liking and add more or less as desired.

*Sarah used Pumpkin Spice non-dairy dry creamer for a little extra boost of spice since we like ours more on the spiced side.

Make some.  I mean it.  Make it now.  I promise you'll love it!  Especially right now when it's still a little on the cool side and you might just want to warm up.  Make it...and do the Chai Chai.

2 comments:

  1. G'day from Oz! Many thanks for linking up to the Say G'Day Saturday link up and sharing this great recipe. It sounds delicious! I've just shared it on Google+.

    Hope you can join in again this weekend.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natasha! Thanks so much for stopping in to see me. Love, love, love your blog and I hope you make it back to mine every now and then! Trust me, you're going to love the Chai!

      Delete