scrap/skrap/
noun: a small piece or amount of something, esp. one that is left over after the greater part has been used.
synonyms: noun: fragment - piece - bit - shred

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Top o' the...Cupboard?...to Ya...

On top of the fridge - two old jars, a pitcher, a cookie jar
(not old), an apple peeler (also not old), a tin cup with a
pastry tool and a framed handwritten recipe for waffles
by Mr. Scrappin's late father.  I love it!
Hello, Happy Sunday and Welcome to the Farm!  I hope you all had a fantastic week, with lots of nice weather to keep you company.  We had a little nice weather and some rain. I'll take that over the freezing cold any day!  I had a great, low-key week and it sure didn't hurt that I had Friday off.  Woot!  So I spent quite a bit of Friday with my mother-in-law, shopping for an outfit for her to wear to a wedding. And a milkshake.  Can't forget the important things!

Above the fridge - a Dutch Pennsylvania cookbook from
the 1800s, a hand held egg beater, potato ricers, graters
and flour sifters.  Don't you just love antique and vintage
items?  They're the best for personality!
Since I've been doing a lot of deep cleaning, I feel so much better.  I hate clutter. Really, really hate it.  It drives me absolutely bonkers but, let's be truthful here, sometimes I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.  So it adds up and drives me even more bonkers.  What a great pattern!  I'm quite sure that none of you out there can even come close to relating to that, right? One of the places I truly detest clutter the most is in my kitchen.  No matter what I do, it looks like nothing was ever done in the first place.  Wash the dishes...someone gets another one (or two or three) out; sweep the floor...looks like I never touched it, especially in the winter time; clean out the sink...mysteriously it's full again.  See what I mean?  Just once, I'd like to enjoy a sparkling, shiny, clean, beautiful kitchen...while I'm actually in my own house. I want to see what it really looks like and if it can really happen!

Lanterns, another potato ricer, juicers, canisters, a nut
grinder and old blue mason jars.  Don't you just love
this old basket to hold the big stuff?
Another thing that makes me crazy is those cupboards that don't go all the way to the ceiling.  I don't like them.  Never have, never will.  It's a thing with me.  For one, I can ALWAYS use the space!  Even if I'm not tall enough to reach stuff, Mr. Scrappin sure is.  For another, I feel like that empty space is nothing but a dust/grease/grime trap. There is no way to get those tops clean and I never feel like they are, even after I scrub, scrub, scrub.  Then there's the empty, unused look.  I don't like it.  I don't like it even more than I don't like clutter.  So what do I do with it?
Flour sifters, nut grinders, graters and old mason jars.

Now, I WISH I was one of those people that could make a good display of my cabinet tops.  I don't feel that I am.  Probably because I know once I put something up there, it's going to look stupid. Decorating is really not my forte', even though I wish it were.  I have to work really hard at it, unlike other people that just have that built-in knack.  Yes, I'm admitting right here in blogland that I am jealous of those people! That being said, they do inspire me to try!  I've had anything from my teapot collection to my larger appliances to anything in between up there on those cupboard tops and nothing has ever made me say that I absolutely love it.  

This little spot on the wall is the perfect cubby for that
collection of rolling pins!  And I love that basket!
But with my mantra this time around of "if I haven't used it in a year, it's gone," I had to rethink the no display dilemma.  I just happen to love these particular items, even if I don't love the top of my cupboards.  So I messed with this way and tried it that way and nothing was speaking to me.  Am I just a loser displayer?  That's all I need to unboost my already low self esteem! Well, I made myself put those things up and, as I was doing it, I actually felt good. Not because I didn't have to get rid of them and not because I wanted them up there on the cupboard tops, but because I got to look at them.  And I do love looking at them.  I don't know what the appeal to certain things is, but I love the things that remind me of my grandmother's house.  Maybe that's why the things I happen to collect are always in more than one quantity.  Cheese grater?  Several.  Flour sifter? Several.  Potato ricer?  Quite a few.  Rolling pin?  Still don't have enough!

So, without further ado, here are my small, but quaint, displays on the tops of my cabinets (and entertainment center used as appliance storage).  After all that arguing and debating with myself to just do it, I'm glad I did.  Also, since our kitchen redo is a LITTLE behind schedule, I feel good that I actually did SOMETHING in there!  And may I say, top o' the cupboard to ya?  

8 comments:

  1. I ADORE your basket of vintage rolling pins! Utter genius and looks fab! I saw you at Natasha in Oz and had to have a peek...x
    http://atrayofbliss.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mimi! I don't know what it is about rolling pins but I just love them. Thanks so much for popping in and following me! I'm heading over to your blog now in case I missed it before.

      Delete
  2. I've been working on the "clutter" at my house too...the life of a collector :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...we do this to ourselves! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Great job- Love the displays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Laura! And thank you for becoming a follower - I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for joining in with the Say G'Day Saturday linky party!

    Hope to see you again this Saturday!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! I'm glad I found your blog! I love it and I love being able to see such talent and information there.

      Delete